Ensure that Your Business Offers Environmentally Friendly, Sustainable Packaging Options
At Howard Packaging, wherever possible, we try and provide our customers with sustainably produced, environmentally friendly packaging products. Whether it’s recycled paper shopping bags, merchandise bags, SOS bags, tissue or gift boxes our products help to ‘close the loop’— recycled products that can be easily recycled.
Additionally, many of our factories have taken it upon themselves to institute sustainable manufacturing processes that help reduce their carbon footprint. If you want to institute a sustainable packaging program for your retail or food service business, contact Howard Packaging and we will make it happen for you.
Contact us today for Free Samples and Free Catalog!
Howard Packaging’s Definition of Sustainable Packaging
- Products made from significant amounts of recycled material with high percentages of post consumer recycled content that can be recycled in most community curbside recycling programs are a sustainable, ‘closed loop’ packaging product.
- Products made in the U.S. and Canada that are manufactured under strict federal, state and local environmental regulations are preferable to products made in countries that do not have, or do not enforce, strict environmental regulations. Click here to see what our tissue factory based in Otter River, MA is doing (on their own) to incorporate sustainable manufacturing processes into their facility.
- All sustainable packaging products should comply with the Model Toxics in Packaging Legislation that has been enacted by 19 states regarding the presence of lead, cadmium, mercury and hexovalent chromium.
- Products that cannot be recycled in most community curbside recycling programs have a significantly reduced value as a sustainable packaging product.
How Our Products Fit into Our Sustainable Packaging Definition
Many of Howard Packaging products are made from significant amounts of recycled material that can be easily recycled:
- Stock and custom printed natural kraft and white kraft paper shopping bags produced in the U.S. and Canada.
- Stock and custom printed natural kraft and white gloss gift and apparel boxes (no foil stamping).
- Stock and custom printed natural kraft paper merchandise bags and custom printed white kraft merchandise bags.
- Custom printed and stock natural kraft, white and colored wrapping tissue.
Howard Packaging Products Made in the U.S. and Canada (where possible):
- All sizes and paper grades of stock and custom printed paper shopping bags.
- All stock and custom printed paper merchandise bags.
- All stock gift, apparel and jewelry boxes.
- Most custom set up and custom folding cartons.
- All sizes and colors of stock and custom printed wrapping tissue.
- Custom printed plastic patch handle and die cut handle merchandise bags.
- Custom printed paper SOS grocery style bags.
- All paper grades and widths of stock and custom printed gift wrap.
- Accordion shred products.
Howard Packaging products that comply with the Model Toxics in Packaging Legislation:
All products sold by Howard Packaging comply with the Model Toxics in Packaging Legislation regarding the presence of heavy metals in packaging products. Certificates of Compliance are on file in our office.
Howard Packaging Products That Cannot be Recycled in Most Community Curbside Recycling Programs:
- Reusable bags made from Non-Woven or Woven Polypropylene (often referred to as ‘cloth bags).
- Reusable bags made from reclaimed, virgin or organic cotton.
- Bags and boxes with foil stamping, laminations, grommets, and leather or plastic handles.
- Most ribbon products(because the base material can’t be identified during the sorting process).
- ‘Thin’ HDPE and LDPE plastic bags.
You can also check with the Sustainable Packaging Coalition to see how they define sustainable packaging.